Hooker Furniture is implementing sustainable business practices to create a corporate culture of social responsibility. Here are a few tips that you can use towards going green in the workplace:
- Use FSC-certified papers for catalogs, media materials, letterhead paper, envelopes and business cards.
- Recycle pallets by having them turned into mulch.
- Use biodegradable packaging materials.
- Eliminate paper and Styrofoam cups by having employees bring their own mugs.
- Use environmentally friendly cleaning supplies.
- Research alternative methods of recycling.
- If you have to print a document or email, just print the text you need.
- Turn off your monitor when you go for lunch, a meeting or even a tea break.
- Turn off your PC if you're not going to be using it for a few hours.
- Make the most of natural lighting - open the blinds!
- Use a laptop and projector to run meetings electronically.
- Mark junk mail 'Return to sender' or ask to be removed from the mailing list.
You should coordinate efforts with all departments and ask your marketing department to play a role. Strive to raise awareness among your customers, as well as the public in general, of the importance of new environmental approaches. And finally, work to help develop a policy that everyone will benefit from.
As employees of Hooker Furniture, we pledge to be responsible corporate citizens through continuous improvement in our environmental practices. We are committed to preserving our community so our families will have a cleaner and healthier place to live.